Friday, February 17, 2012

Making Room for the Things of God

Several years ago God got my attention. I was living my life in a way where the money coming in was equal to the money going out. Now for some that would be great compared to maybe what your finances look like right now, but God began to convict me. At the same time he began to convict my heart concerning my schedule. I was always working on something and had no extra time.

The problem is that God has called us to make a difference in the world around us, but I had organized my life in such a way that I had nothing left to give. If a friend had just lost their job and needed some help all I could do was tell them I would pray, because I didn't have anything extra money to give. If someone was going through some difficult times and just needed someone to listen I wouldn't be able to because I had filled my life up with too many things and didn't have any spare time.

As single ministers and missionaries we are traditionally an overcommitted group of people with not a lot of extra money. That is usually because of our limited income, or because we tend to be too generous.

God has called us to be a blessing to those around us but that demands that we manage our lives in such a way that we have something to give. Whether that be emotionally, spiritually, relationally, financially, or with our time, we must move to a place in our lives of health and balance.

Life is a marathon not a sprint. Why don't you take some time and evaluate how you are living. We need sleep, exercise, friends, time off, and a potent devotional life. Get organized. Add some things. Remove some things. Make space for the Spirit to use you. Begin living a life without regret. As we do that God will guide us to the people and the ministries we are to invest in and free us from the commitments that are distracting us from what God wants of us.

Trust the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your path. Prov. 3:5-6

No comments:

Post a Comment