Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Is it harder for single pastors to find a job?

I recently read an article written by a single pastor who was bothered by the fears that people have of hiring single pastors. I agree that at times being single is a hindrance to getting a job in ministry, but what perspective should we have as single pastors. As we examine ourselves and walk humbly with our God will He not open the doors that He wants open and close the doors that He wants closed? If God controls the hearts of kings (Prov. 21:1) does He not also control the hearts of search committees and missions agencies. I agree with the writer of the article, but I am just not ready to trust my future and my calling to the cultural and theological whims of man. Yes, we need to prepare our resumes and go to interviews, but if God has called us, and if we are walking with Him, then He will make a way where there seems to be no way. Whether I am full-time, part-time, or volunteer, my calling remains the same. As we love God and love neighbor I believe God will make things right according to His will and not ours. He works all things for the good. May we rest in Him, even when we are searching for where God wants us next.

No comments:

Post a Comment